The Pioneer Cottage is the original Millinup Estate homestead. Built from jarrah weatherboard and corrugated iron around 1915, it retains the feel of a true settlers mountain cottage. Over the years we have partially rebuilt and fully restored the cottage to its original condition yet it has been kept authentic, both inside and outside.
Some of the internal features include:
- A lounge room large enough to seat 5 in comfort around the cosy wood fire. With high timber ceilings, original jarrah feature walls and timber floors, it feels spacious and comfortable.
- The second bedroom is also spacious and sleeps 2 in either single beds or joined for a double bed. There are wonderful views of the mountains from the window.
- The bathroom is just a few years old and merges perfectly with the original building. It is semi ensuite to the second bedroom with a main door to the rest of the house.
- The main bedroom is not adjoining another bedroom and has polished jarrah floors, timber ceiling and a large picture window.
- The kitchen retains its old world feel but is modern in every other way with gas stove, microwave oven, fridge/freezer, large food prep area, and country style dining area.
- Top quality king single bed in the lounge room for 5th person or a day bed.
- Quality folding bed for a 6th person if required.
- New flat screen TV and DVD plus a selection of dvd’s, games, books, and local information and magazines.
- Most importantly we provide our own special maps of all the walks from our property and in the Porongurups. This is greatly appreciated by our guests! We also have our own special information sheets on adventures to hidden places on the coast 1 hour away.
- Adjoining the kitchen is a verandah with bbq, outside dining setting and comfy cane chairs
Provided by us for your comfort and enjoyment:
- Beds are comfortable with quality and beautifully clean sheets, ironed pillow cases, blankets and doonas. All beds have an electric blanket. There is hanging space with hangers.
- In the bathroom we provide towels, bath mats, hand towel, face washers and hair dryer. Soap, shampoo, body wash and hand wash is provided. Please bring your own shampoo and conditioner if you prefer. Plenty of loo rolls too!
- In the kitchen we provide all the items you will expect in any self catering kitchen plus a few extras so you don’t have to bring them. Like cling film, baking paper, air tight food containers, electric mixing wand, alfoil, olive oil, ground coffee and instant coffee with plunger, a selection of standard and herbal teas, paper towel, scales, and measuring cups.
- Heating. All that is needed to stay warm and cosy with firewood, kindling, fire lighters and matches.
- There is a large gas BBQ on the verandah.
- Mobile phone reception is not generally available on the property unless you are with Telstra. Free wifi is available at the cellar reception area 150 metres away. If you need phone or internet access we are happy to provide our facilities free of charge. We have also in the cottage a prepaid telstra phone if you need it.